8 Dec 2011

Chocolate Orange Cupcakes & this months "We Should Cocoa" entry


HAPPY DECEMBERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I am so friggin' excited!! December my favourite month, winter is my favourite time of year. 

All the towns and cities have their Xmas lights up, it's cold (perfect for snuggling), I can go shopping without getting told off by the fella and the food is crazy good!!! :-) 


This week was my team Xmas buffet at work and we all had to bring our secret Santa presents (always a giggle) I was given Good Housekeeping - Favourite Cakes, Bakes & Cupcakes and a Bun Tin which I was chuffed as nuts with!!! Thank you Santa :-)

We also had to take in some food, in case you were wondering, I took cupcakes.  

I'm always looking for the crowd pleaser, I hate it if someone won't have a cake as I feel they're missing out, so I obsessed for two weeks over what I was going to make and I came up with chocolate orange. Everyone loves chocolate orange, right?

It seems my team do.......

Carol - "These are indescribable!!" - I'm pretty sure this was a compliment :-) 
Jason - "10 out of 10 Kat"

My chocolate orange cupcakes taste just like a Terry's Chocolate Orange  ~ Oh yes they do!!

Oh yeah, I also scouted around my fave challenge blogs and found the We Should Cocoa Challenge this month on the Chocolate Log Blog required ORANGE!!! Wahoo, Bonus!! Entry done, ta very much xx


Anyhoo...... here's the recipe, you lucky things :-)

Sponge ~ makes 12
160g sugar
160g butter
140g s/r flour
20g cocoa
2 medium eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp orange zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup milk

  1. Preheat over to 180/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 cases
  2. Put dry ingredients into a bowl 
  3. Cream the butter and sugar
  4. Add eggs one at a time making sure one is fully incorporated before adding the next
  5. Mix in the orange zest and juice. 
  6. Add dry ingredients and fold in until just combined.
  7. Add milk and fold until fully incorporated. 
  8. Divide mix evenly between 12 cupcake cases
  9. Bake for 20-25 minutes
  10. When baked, place on cooling rack to cool
Frosting
120g butter
200g icing sugar
120g Terry's Chocolate orange (melted and cooled)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tbsp Cocoa powder
  1. Cream the butter
  2. Add the icing sugar 100g at a time mixing fully each time
  3. Add the cocoa powder, mix in
  4. Add the cooled chocolate and orange juice and mix on low until combined
  5. Finally mix on high for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
This makes enough for 6 large swirls and 6 flat iced cakes. 



ENJOY!!

xx Kat xx

8 comments:

  1. Great idea - really love that topping. Winter is your favourite time of year? Really? I'm thinking of hibernating - give me spring or summer, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent entry for the challenge. The cupcakes look fab. What's the topping on the flat iced cupcakes? I love winter too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am sooooooo excited this time of year- like a hyperactive, sweet filled 3 year old! What lovely gifts your had from Santa...and such a yummy We Should Cocoa entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys

    Yes I LOVE winter!!! It's hanker down and snuggle time who doesn't love that! :-)

    The star shapes will feature in my next post (it'll be a short one) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, look at those lovely frosting swirls! choc orange is a definite winner you're right - and I love winter too, it's the best...except the new area I live in hardly has any Christmas lights up at all so it's not feeling too festive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were you I'd bribe the neighbours with loud music until 4 in the morning until they get their lights out!! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a fun and exciting Christmas. These cupcakes look sublime, your work colleagues must love you. I knew we wouldn't be able to get away without a chocolate orange!!! Thanks for participating in WSC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Choclette, yes my Christmas was ace! How was yours? I love doing the challenge, it always gives me great ideas.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...