9 Feb 2012

Lemon Meringue Cake


So this was supposed to be my "two birds, one stone cake" but I am a dippy cow, completely lost the plot and made this meringue cake instead of Lemon Meringue Cupcakes!!!

I made this and a birthday cake for Preston, he's 1 on 9th Feb, and somehow I ended up making two full sized cakes!!! (I'll post the second cake later on)


But..... thinking about it..... I need a minimum of two ingredients on the list for the Cupcake Challenge and only have one in this cake (meringue). Whatever I've seriously lost the plot!

I am still OK for the Alpha Bakes challenge (yey!), which this month is hosted by Ros of More Than Occasional Baker. This is a new monthly challenge that is based on the alphabet (funnily enough). Each month we are given a random letter and must bake something with an ingredient beginning with that letter. For the rules click here.

This month the letter is "L"

My gosh there's gonna be a ton of lemony goodies :-)

Here's how I made my Lovely Luscious Lemony cake

Buy mini meringues (I bought Tesco 16 pot)

Ingredients 
200g butter
200g caster sugar
200g s/r flour
3 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup semi-skimmed milk
  • preheat oven to 170/ gas mark 3-4.
  • base-line and grease 2 20cm sandwich tins.
  • cream the butter until light and fluffy.
  • add the sugar and cream as before.
  • add the eggs, one a a time.
  • add the zest and juice and mix.
  • add half the flour and baking powder and fold in gently.
  • add the milk and fold in gently.
  • add the remaining flour and fold gently until fully combined. 
  • divide mixture equally between the tins and bake for 30-35mins.
  • when baked leave to cool in tins for 5mins then turn out onto cooling rack.
Filling 
1/2 cup lemon curd (mixed to slacken)
1/2 frosting mixture
crumbled meringues

Frosting
160g butter
300g icing sugar
1/4 semi-skimmed milk
juice of 1/2 lemon
  • mix the butter and sugar together until thick and creamy.
  • add the juice and milk and whisk for 3-5 mins until light and fluffy.
When the cakes are completely cool place one on a cake board and spread on the lemon curd.

Spread 1/2 the frosting on top. I find it easier to pipe the frosting in circles then I can spread it gently and easily. 

Sprinkle crumbled meringues (as much as you like) I used 4 mini meringues.

Place the second sponge on top and frost the top with the other half of the frosting as desired. Then plop eight mini meringues evenly around the top on the cake. 

ET VOILA!!!

I forgot to refrigerate the bottom layer with the curd (to let the curd stiffen up) before piping the frosting and plopping the other sponge on top. Thus came the "CURD SPLURGE" yes.... thats the official name :-)

T'is yummy and B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L though :-)



Hope you enjoy

xx Kat xx

8 comments:

  1. I am enjoying this very much indeed :) Thank you so much for entering this to Alphabakes, a gorgeous entry and I love the curd splurge! I'd happily eat a slice now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the lots was eaten within 24hrs!!!

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing! I love lemon meringue but never had lemon meringue cake before! Must try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not seen one, especially one with actual meringue, not torched meringue mix.

      Delete
  3. Lemon and meringue is always good and this looks so inviting. I always forget about refrigerating curd but I think curd splurge just makes it look more indulgent and pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely, and really cute with the meringues on top! I hope the birthday boy liked it :-) Thanks for entering Alphabakes, the round-up is on Ros's site now - hope to see you in March!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon meringue is my all time favourite...this looks devine!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...