24 Jul 2012

Mini Victoria Sponge Cakes - Tea Time Treats July Challenge




The Tea Time Treats Challenge is brought to us by Kate of What Kate Baked and Karen of Lavender and Lovage. This month's theme is being hosted by Karen of Lavender and Lovage the theme is Cake Stall Cakes & Bakes 

My favourite spring/summer past-time is scoping out the cake stalls and competitions at Fetes and Fairs. To be honest I like comparing mine to theirs ~ in my mind, I always win!! :-)

What comes to mind when I think about these events are all the layer cakes with thick butter-cream centres. The most famous and traditional of which being the Victoria Sponge. I haven't made one of these before so I thought I'd give it a go. As you know I like small cakes, hence the name of my blog, so I made minis! 

Here's the recipe....

Recipe
150g self raising flour
150g butter - @ room temp
150g sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
  1. Pre-heat oven to 170 deg/gas mark 4
  2. Cream sugar & butter until light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs one at a time to stop separation.
  4. Add vanilla extract.
  5. Gently fold in half the flour & baking powder in until combined.
  6. Fold in half the milk.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you get a smooth batter.
I used 3 baking tins to bake my cakes (I haven't got a swiss roll pan) make sure you spread the mixture about 1cm thick.

Bake for 20-25mins

Buttercream
100g butter - unsalted @ room temp
200g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of milk

  1. Whisk the butter until very light in colour.
  2. Add the icing sugar in small batches until fully incorporated. 
  3. Add vanilla extract and stir in slowly.
  4. Mix in milk to loosen until you have your desired consistency.  

When the cakes are baked take them out of the oven and leave to cool for 5mins in the tin. When cooled slightly take cakes out of the tin and place on cooling rack to cool completely. 

When totally cooled pop your cakes on a chopping board, use a round cutter, of your choice, to cut out the sponges. When you cut make sure you wiggle the cutter around (if you just push down you won't get a clean edge). Take a look at my pic :-)


Assembly

I used raspberry jam for this recipe, just take it out of the fridge, spoon out the amount you want and mix it to loosen it for easy spreading.
  1. Blob a teaspoon of jam onto your bottom sponge.
  2. Refrigerate for 20-30mins.
  3. I pipe on my buttercream to make a nice smooth finish. 
  4. Pop on your cake top.
  5. Dust with icing sugar.
  6. Decorate with mini fondant flowers. 

My boys came home to a kitchen counter covered in cakes and loved it!! Even my 17 month old knew what they were and was very happy about the yummy cakes he could see from his high-chair. 

I hope you enjoy these as much as the boys did!

xx Kat xx

14 comments:

  1. Hi, I am dropping by via Tea Time Treats. I love how pretty your little cakes look. Thanks for showing how its done, you have given me ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! what a great idea, definitley love mini versions of things

    love your blog and thanks for being my 100th follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it's funny I made yesterday an afternoon tea.

    It's too bad I didn't see your recipe before.

    http://mywonderfoodlife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these wee cakes, I just adore LITTLE Victoria Sandwich cakes and these are perfect! THANKS so much for entering them into Tea Time Treats and the BIG cake stall! GREAT finish too.....I am impressed! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are soooo cute!! I love mini cakes and these are perfect for a cake stall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mini cakes too, they're always so much cuter. Plus you get the benefit of eating all the scraps after cutting out the shapes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I spread the left over jam on my left over sponge and scoffed the lot!! Bakers perks :-) xx

      Delete
  7. These little cakes are so beautiful and cute
    Wonderful idea - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look adorable and beautifully presented too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mini cakes too - yours look so pretty! Perfect for a cake stall or presented on a cake stand for afternoon tea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...